Friday, January 29, 2010

SNOW DAY!

Oh, how I long for days like this! Well, mostly. The weather forecasters started calling for snow here earlier in the week. For once, I didn't get my hopes up - probably because the "snow" that is usually predicted normally disappoints me. So anyway - Addie did her snow dance yesterday, and apparently it worked! We woke up this morning to see ZERO snow on the ground, but the radar looked ominous. I decided to head on in to work because I felt silly staying home with no actual accumulation. My plan was to keep an eye on the roads and head out as soon as it started sticking. JM wisely decided to work from home. We took the babies to school, and off I went! It was clear, clear, clear, BAM - streets completely covered. It really seems like it happened that quickly! I was checking fairly often and called my boss (who was working from home due to her little girl's school being closed) at 11 and told her I was about to head out. But then I checked the parking lot and roads, and they looked fine. So I stayed around a little longer. BIG MISTAKE! When I left at noon, the roads were already white. I made it fine for the first two or three miles of my commute, but then when it came time to turn onto the main highway, the traffic was stopped. I ended up making a u-turn (oops - illegal in Franklin :)) to try a different way. That went a little better except I got behind a MORON driving 15 mph. Now don't get me wrong - I'm aware that it is not a good idea to go the speed limit in inclement weather. And I wasn't comfortable going much faster than 30 or so. However, I was quite nervous that we wouldn't be able to pass over the many hills going so slowly! Thankfully, I turned off and got away from that buffoon (who I hope made it home safely, although it may have been six hours afterwards at the rate he was going). ANYWAY - long story short (too late, you say?), it took me an hour and forty-five minutes to get home. It normally takes me 25-30. I really can't complain, though, because last year it took me over three hours to get home in another snow where there were far better conditions than today's.

Sooo, enough about me. I finally got home and JM and the babies were safe and sound and warm and toasty, thank goodness. We went out to play and Addie had a blast! She made a headless snow angel (refused to lay her head on the ground). Landon wasn't quite sure what to think of the snow, but he was definitely not a big fan of his "snowsuit." But seriously, he looked so adorable, I really didn't care. He did seem to have a good time "sledding" with Addie! We're excited about Round 2 of playing outside tomorrow, but hopeful that we're not completely "snowed in" because we have a few events we're really looking forward to attending this weekend!











(I promise Landon really did smile & laugh while we were outside, I just never caught it with the camera :))


*As of right now (9:00 p.m. Friday), I'd guess we have around 3 1/2 to 4 inches. Gorgeous!

3 comments:

Sonya said...

Yay! You got your snow, girl ;-) Thanks for the pictures!

Marian said...

The laundry basket picture and the family photo are my favorites! Oh, and the one of Landon on the slide! Cute babies playing in snow - I love it. :)

ethelmaepotter! said...

I'm not really sure how I stumbled across you, but I'm so glad I did - the picture of your babies in the laundry hamper made me laugh out loud!
We're just north of Nashville, and, like you, I had my doubts that this big snow would actually materialize. (Remember the almost-blizzard that didn't happen a couple of weeks ago?) Anyway, I am thoroughly enjoying watching it coming down from the comfort of my recliner by the fireplace, my cat curled up beside me.
I browsed down the page and must say, I don't think I've ever seen anything cuter than your Landon in overalls!
Stay warm and enjoy those precious babies in the snow!