Sunday, January 10, 2010

CeCe

I am not quite sure where to begin with this post, but I feel like not posting anything is just unfair to myself (and the rest of my family). My sweet grandmommy passed away Thursday evening at the age of 85. She was an absolutely wonderful woman. I grew up with her literally next door (she had what we now all know as a "mother-in-law suite" in my parents' home), so we were very close. I have awesome memories of her from my childhood, of course, but even more since I've been an adult (and not just because I can remember more :)). I can't begin to explain the amount of support she gave me over the past few years (along with the rest of my family, of course). She always told me I could accomplish everything I set my mind to, and without ever making me feel dumb, told me she thought my nerves and fears were silly. And nearly every time, she was right!

The past few months, she had been having a lot of pain in her legs, and being not quite herself. My mom finally convinced the stubborn old lady (well!) that she needed to go to the doctor, and eventually ended up having her taken to the emergency room. This was Monday, December 28. She was diagnosed with cancer in her hip bone, liver and lungs the next day. Of course, we were all devastated, but were hopeful that we'd have a couple of months to spend with her. Obviously, that was not God's (nor her) plan. When she and I sat to talk, right after her diagnosis, the first thing she said was, "Well, I get to go see Wayne!" That is my grandfather who passed away nearly 50 years ago. It was amazing to see her peace. She knew she was going to Heaven and honestly, I think she was ready. And I think she gave us a week for the rest of us to catch up with her peace. I told her a little fib and told her I was okay with her leaving us. It hurts so bad, but knowing that she is without pain, and is with her husband and her son (my uncle, who died five years ago), I am happy.

Of course, not only was she my grandma, but she was "CeCe" to Addie and Landon. She had originally chosen "G.G" (Great-Grandmother) to be her nickname, but Addie couldn't say it. So it became "CeCe," and it really seemed perfect. She loved those babies more than anything. Even on a day where it was obvious that she wasn't feeling well, one sight of either Addie or Landon would cheer her up. I have prayed every day that Addie will remember her and remember how much her CeCe loved her. I think at the very least she'll remember the York Peppermint Patties that she got whenever she visited her :)

I don't think a day will go by that I don't miss her. I am so thankful that God gave her to us for so long. I am also so grateful that I got to sit with her and tell her just how much she meant to me. I know that she knew, but it (selfishly) began my healing process. She was a beautiful woman, and she will be loved and missed forever!

6 comments:

Jessica Miller Kelley said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. She sounds like a very special woman!

SpeasHill said...

What a gift - her to you and you and your babies to her. Will be thinking about you!

Marian said...

I'm so sorry, Kristen. But I'm glad that you have such wonderful memories of her. Grandparents really are special people.

Monika said...

I'm sorry Kristen. Thinking of you!

Kim said...

What a nice tribute to a sweet lady... she will be missed for sure. I often wish that my babies would've had the chance to know my grammy so it's really special that she got the time that she did with your little ones. And I'm sure they'll remember since she was that wonderful!

Mommy said...

Krissy, that is the most perfect tribute anyone could've given Mom. How beautiful. I know she's smiling from ear to ear! I love you, Sweetheart.