Saturday, November 24, 2007

Eighteen-month checkup (a.k.a. Bad Mommy Moment)

Yesterday was Addie's eighteen-month checkup with Dr. Hood! It went a little differently than her past checkups. This time, as soon as we started to go back with the nurse, Addie stopped right in her tracks. John Michael had to carry her back to the exam room. Once we got in there, she clung to me for dear life! I'm pretty sure this is because last weekend, we had her flu shot. I'm guessing she realized what was to come (as she was scheduled to get her last hepatitis shot yesterday)!

Anyway, Addie weighed in at 21 lbs, 9 oz. and 30 3/4 inches long. STILL a peanut! She continues to hover around the 20-25th percentile in weight and 25th percentile in height. Again, Dr. Hood said she is doing great, growing well, and staying on the growth curve well!

So, very unlike herself, Addie wailed the whole time Dr. Hood was checking her out! She has never done that, but at least Dr. Hood laughed it off by saying that at least she's sure her lungs are doing great :-) She was a little fussy all week long - I attributed it a phase and beginning tantrums of the terrible twos. I even pointed out to Dr. Hood that her tantrums were becoming frustrating. Then came the bad mommy part - Dr. Hood checked out Addie's ears and it turned out her left one was VERY infected. :-( She had not been herself, and I didn't even think about her being sick! She had a slight fever last weekend, but it was right after her flu shot, so I just thought it was that! I was wrong. I felt so terrible, thinking my poor sweet baby has been in pain for God-only-knows-how-long. Boo. Her left tube has come out (which is normal - they're supposed to last 6 to 16 months, and this one stayed in about 6 months). Dr. Hood said that if after a course of super-duper antibiotics the ear doesn't look better, then she will recommend reinsertion of the tube (this is her second infection since the tube fell out about two months ago). At this point, I'm up for it, as they really made all the difference in her health, and her hearing is definitely something I don't want to mess around with...I'll keep you posted.

On the bright side, Addie is already back to her happy self today after two doses of her medicine. She did not nap today and was STILL running around giggling (maybe she was delirious - either way, she was fun!)! And, I got a fair amount of her Christmas shopping done today with Lynn, which means that all I have left is EVERYONE ELSE! I feel so far behind... :-)

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving with Mimi & PawPaw & Gigi and have also enjoyed spending time with Uncle Nate & Aunt Rissa this week, too! We hope to have our Christmas decorations out by the end of the weekend. And speaking of Christmas, we had a visit to Santa on Wednesday evening - our second annual Addie & Holland trip. I'll have to scan the picture, but in the meantime I'll spoil the surprise and just say that it is ADORABLE!

Here are a few from Thanksgiving at my parents' house...


"I loooove my rocking chair!"



I was trying to get Addie to laugh by sticking out my tongue, and instead, she decided to copy me.



Addie and PawPaw



Addie and Mimi

3 comments:

Angelle said...

Everyone has those bad mommy moments. Once when we flew somewhere, after we got back I realized that Leah might have had an ear infection. She screamed on the descent of each flight and was not herself the whole trip. I feel your pain! :)

Frances Vineyard said...

Had many of those moments too. :( I'm glad she is feeling better. Happy Thanksgiving! Can't wait to see the Santa pic. I bought that rug from Halls Salvage in Sweetwater. Cheap..Cheap!

amber@This Mommy Cooks said...

So sorry Kristen! Glad she's feeling better. Is it me or are her curls getting curlier?? Too cute!