Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Update!

Well, a little over one week later, Addie has no symptoms of wheezing or her cold! Yay! That day was so scary - we ended up having our first (hopefully last!) visit to Vanderbilt Children's Hospital. As soon as I finished my last blog entry, I woke Addie up from a nap (she had missed her normal naptime with our trip to the pediatrician). I noticed that she was already wheezing again, and it had only been an hour since her last treatment (which was supposed to last 4 hours). I called the nurse and we counted her respirations. Addie was starting to panic a little again, so I knew she was working harder than normal. Anyway, she had 50 breaths in one minute and they like to see 40, so the nurse told me to take her on up to the emergency room. Reminder again that John Michael was out of town for all of this. I called my parents, freaking out (of course!) and asked them to meet me. I held Addie down and gave her her inhaler to try to calm her breathing (this was faster than the 15-minute nebulizer treatment, although she HATES the inhaler). I also called Cindy, John Michael's mom, and she met us up there as well. I have to say that I was VERY impressed by Vanderbilt. They had Addie back within 10 minutes and had the respiratory team in there checking her out. They gave her another treatment and monitored her. It turned out that the steroid that the pediatrician had given her that afternoon had just not quite kicked in, so the albuterol wasn't making it all the way to where it needed to be in her lungs. Phew! We finally got home a little after midnight. What a long day!

Anyway, last Friday, we saw Dr. Hood for the follow-up and she decided to put Addie on a twice daily preventive medication (Pulmocort). We give it to her through the nebulizer in the morning and again at night. There
is a medicine that we can give her through the inhaler (which would be much faster and probably less annoying for Addie, who cannot stand to be still for any amount of time :)), however, she is currently freaked out by the sight of the inhaler. We are hoping to get her re-accustomed to it over the next few weeks (you can imagine we'll be giving her stuffed animals breathing treatments :)).

So before I post some pictures, I just wanted to thank everyone SO much for your prayers and good thoughts. We truly appreciate it and thank God for friends like all of you!



Addie and her "pony!"
(Look at that hair!!!!!)



Addie's princess chair!



The princess chair again! Addie is very possessive of this chair and doesn't even like for John Michael or me to be in it (we're trying to teach her the concept of sharing, honest!). Ha ha ha...


A flying princess chair!
(Can you tell we just finished reading Harry Potter? Think Hagrid's flying motorbike... :))



Sometimes I like to give her messy foods just 'cause it's cute :)
Check out the ravioli unibrow - ha!
(Aunt Elizabeth made this bib for Addie at one of my baby showers!)



After playing with her magnetic alphabet, Addie couldn't figure out why this pen cap wouldn't stick to the refrigerator! Too cute!

2 comments:

amber@This Mommy Cooks said...

I just checked your blog today and saw where Addie had been sick. I am so glad she's feeling better now. I know that you must have been so scarred! Those pictures are so adorable. Jacks likes to play with that magnetic ABC toy too, but he just knocks them off the fridge. =)

Frances Vineyard said...

What a blessing that she is getting better! I just prayed for you, because I know it is hard to stay strong when your baby is sick.
Frances
P.S
She has the cutest hair ever!