Saturday, August 20, 2011

Confession time

Okay, time to confess. Although Addie's first half-day of Kindergarten was easy for me, the first full day was not so much. We had planned to drop her off ourselves at school for the first few days, but at the parent meeting on Monday night, we were asked to use Thursday as a day to start their routines since they'd have extra helpers at the school to help. So, we decided to do just that. Because our work days begin at 8 a.m. (roughly :)) and Addie's school begins at 8:30 (with the doors to the school opening at 8:15), we decided to keep her enrolled at her daycare's before and after school program. She will ride the school bus to and from there. So now that I've given the background, back to Thursday ;)

We arrived at the daycare at our normal time and got the kids checked in. We knew the bus would be coming soon, so we decided to wait to be with Addie. Let's just say nothing can prepare you for seeing your five-year-old get on a school bus. Or maybe I should say nothing could prepare ME for seeing MY five-year-old get on a school bus. :)

Addie was so excited to ride the school bus. She climbed up completely fearless and with a huge grin on her face. I, on the other hand, started weeping immediately and didn't stop until I got to work. And the waterworks started back up every time I talked about it that day. She just looked so little! How did this happen?

Of course I worried all day that she would have trouble making it to her class and back on the bus that afternoon. To say I was relieved to hug her happy little self that afternoon is a huge understatement. But her happiness was shortlived and soon we were dealing with tears. What made her cry? Hearing that she had to wait until Monday to ride the bus again :) Love my sweet little big girl!

4 comments:

Angelle said...

I cried SO hard the first time I left Leah in preschool! To see them grow up and become independent of you is so HARD. Love that story!

Rachel said...

I teared up reading this thinking about my kids getting on a school bus! Stop time!! just stop!

Amanda Bradley said...

That's precious. I feel for you. I know I'll be a wreck when that day comes around for me. Hang in there, she's not driving... yet :)

Monika said...

I'm gonna be a basketcase when O gets on the bus for the first time!

But glad to hear Addie did so well! Good job mama!