Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Cheekwood Art Camp - Guest Post by Nana


Nana took Addie and Landon to Art Camp at Cheekwood June 6-10. Here is her recap of the week! Thanks, Nana, for writing about it and even more for taking them. They had a blast!!!


We are members of Cheekwood so we take our grandchildren there as much as we can. I received notification about the Summer Art Programs at the end of 2010. John Michael & Nathaniel had attended art camp as children and given Addie’s artistic abilities, I knew I wanted to take both Addie and Landon. The classes are highly prized and fill up fast. I was traveling on Saturday, January 22 on the sign up day and was frantically trying to get online, email and call to be sure we got a space. That afternoon the Camp Director left me a message that we were signed up. I WAS SO EXCITED!!! WE WERE GOING TO ART CAMP!

June 6 rolls around and John Michael brings Addie and Landon to our house. They were very excited. I was too. Landon & I were enrolled in the 2-4 yr Guardian & Child ARTStart – Summer Sampler from 9:00-11:00. Addie was enrolled in the 5-6 yr Mixed Media Madness from 9:00-12:00 then in Summer Sampler from 1:00-4:00. The “plan” was for Landon and I to hangout and wait for Addie, then have a picnic and Addie would go back for her afternoon session. Landon & I were to be flexible and hang out in the gardens or go to the office. The weather was beautiful and clear but HOT – 95+ degrees every day.

Miss Adrian was our teacher and we learned about lines the first day. We colored, pasted and painted. Landon enjoyed it. Addie’s morning teacher was Miss Aimee and she worked in water colors and made a nice painting. I packed a picnic lunch for us on Monday and Landon and I played with leaves and made airplanes to pass the time until Addie was out (note to self bring more to do tomorrow). After Addie went back to her class, Landon and I went to the office because the gardens are closed on Monday. We came back to pick Addie up and she did an amazing painting in Miss Rachel’s class (Miss Aimee’s non-identical twin sister). Addie was explaining that you can “fill the page with color” which she did. I think that was an AH-HA moment for her.

Tuesday we painted with large sweeping strokes. Mostly Landon was interested in eating all his snacks – that boy can pack it away! Addie brought home more watercolor paintings. A lot of the things she did had different things to add each day. She always came out of every class beaming! Landon and I picked up chicken strips at Publix and came back for another picnic. The locusts were still out so Addie basically sat in my lap, scared of the bugs. Landon and I spent the afternoon in the gardens visiting the bullfrogs and dragonflies in the pond and the train exhibit. We met up with Addie’s class at the trains also. Cindy Jo’s husband, John, is one of the train engineers at the exhibit. He let Landon hold Thomas The Train and wear one of the engineer’s hats! All the classes had outdoor time all week to visit the museum, the gardens, the trains and to gather items for class. While Landon and I enjoyed it, it was WAY too hot. We spent the rest of the afternoons that week at the office.

Wednesday, Landon and I worked with texture and made some clay tablets. Lunch, requested hot dogs from home, was eaten outside at the picnic table close to the building where there weren’t many locusts. After the first day, Nana knew to bring books, markers and paper to pass the time until it was time to go back to class. That girl NEVER got tired of drawing. Matter of fact, she drew at our house in the mornings until we left and drew in the car to and from class.

Thursday, Landon and I glazed our clay tablets and did resist printing. He enjoyed rolling the paint on the plexiglass. Addie continued to work on her projects to bring home at the end of the week. She always had a little something to show for her day though. We met Daddy and PaPa for lunch at the Sportsman’s Grill at the Hwy 70-100 split. It was nice to be in the air conditioning. It was cute, they both wanted to sit next to PaPa so he sat in between them.

Friday was hat day. We worked on small projects, as we were to clear everything out for the week. Landon and I made a mobile out of sticks and leaves he colored. Addie requested McDonald’s for lunch so Landon & I went out to pick it up. I was surprised when she said she wanted to have a picnic. We did and the locusts were not as bad. Addie brought some neat projects she made, a painted turtle made out of a bowl and an interesting sculpture head. I’m not sure if it was supposed to be a self-portrait or not.

All in all it was a good week and I was thrilled to get to spend so much time with my grandchildren. What a treasure! A few weeks later, I asked them if they enjoyed Art Camp. Addie beamed saying yes and she would love to go back next year. I asked Landon if he wanted to go back and he resoundingly said “NOOOO” - not just NO but NOOOO! Oh well, we’ll find something else special to do with him. It was still a great experience.







Landon and Uncle John at the trains



Nana and her babies!




3 comments:

Jessica Miller Kelley said...

That sounds like so much fun! Makes we want to take mornings off for a week next year to do the 2-4 yr old class!

Monika said...

Sounds like so much fun! I didn't know they had classes for 2 year olds! Sign us up!!!

Sonya said...

How awesome :-)